Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hot Dog Girl: You Do What You’ve Gotta Do

The karmatastic life is a way of thinking, doing, being. Collective good deeds have the power to clarify the present, shape the future, and heal the past.

I saw this chick dressed as a hot dog. She was tall, lean, and tan, looking very much like a weiner, with a looong tan vest as a bun. Hot Dog Girl was advertising for a business in the strip mall across the way. I wondered, what was the interview like for Hot Dog Girl? Did the ad state certain physical, weiner-like, characteristics were required? Who didn’t make the cut?

I considered—briefly-- snapping a photo of Hot Dog Girl but thought better. I was once chased by a costumed man outside of a cell phone store. I was trying out my new picture phone when Cell Phone Man became agitated, waving his doughy costume arms and coming toward me in a menacing fashion. Very funny pics but not such a safe experience and certainly not something I would recommend.

Across town, there’s  an income tax provider who hires people to dress as the Statue of Liberty to attract business. I’ve seen a Statue rocking out with an iPod, smoking a cigarette, waving down cars.

What these folks have in common is the need to work and even, in the eyes of some, perform demeaning work. We’ve all seen Chicken Guy, Cell Phone Guy, and maybe even a Hot Dog Girl. These aren’t just high schoolers—some are adults who have been forced to take such jobs. How do they maintain a sense of dignity? Do they tell their friends? What if someone they know drives by and recognizes them? Being karmatastic requires that we all do our best, at anything and for anyone, if it means providing for ourselves and/or our families.

Face it, pretty much all of us have to work. Some dignity would be nice. But maybe these folks find dignity in doing the best at what they are doing at the time. If you’re gonna be the Statue of Liberty, rock out! If you’re Hot Dog Girl look like a hot dog. Dance, Chicken Man. (Cell Phone Man, you do not have to be aggressive!) The point is, we do what we have to do to make ends meet.

 Would I dress as a hot dog if I had to? You betcha. Would you?

2 comments:

  1. We have a man that dresses like a later day king midas working for a used gold place. Always smiling, I wonder how he got that job & why he is so happy !

    ReplyDelete